Money Means guides are brought to you by FSCS, the people who protect your money from £1 up to £85,000 in UK banks, building societies and credit unions. Find out more.
Choosing where to live
1. Consider alternative homes such as property guardianship, or even house boats.
2. Think about moving in with family members – it could save you a large chunk of money!
3. But have an exit strategy and keep looking at the same time, as situations may change.
Flatshares and finance
1. Avoid moving in with people at different life stages, your expectations may not marry up!
2. Be on the same page as your house mates. Get a formal agreement about what you’ll all be paying
3. Make sure your deposit is in a deposit protection scheme so you don’t risk losing money to an unscrupulous landlord!
4. Don’t be tempted to open a joint bank account with house mates, you’ll risk affecting your credit rating